Lift your sternum
Move your bottom to the back of the chair and ensure your back is supported.
- Become aware of the position of your sternum and chest.
- Imagine you have a torch on your sternum in-front of your heart.
- Is the torch shining downwards, forwards or upwards?
- Lift the torch (your sternum) so you are shining it forwards or upwards. Make sure that your back feels relaxed when you do this and move within a range which is totally comfortable for you.
- Notice the difference in how you feel.
Lifting your sternum in a relaxed posture will reduce the load on your spine, increase your confidence and alertness.
Sitting in bad posture or on the edge of the chair for long periods means that the muscles around your back have to work hard for long periods and there is increased load on your spine.
Seek the advice from a health professional
If you have any specific health condition, seek advice before performing the nudges.
Nudges must be comfortable.
Always perform nudges comfortably. Move slowly and gently, within a range which is totally pain free.
Add personalised nudges for specific health conditions.
If you have a specific health condition, you can seek advice from a health professional to add specific nudges for you.